Do you take international students?

As this is a distance learning course, it is possible to take it from anywhere in the world. Materials can be sent electronically and tutorials arranged by Zoom.

Can I get a bursary?

We are a small charitable organisation run almost entirely by volunteers in their spare time. We do not make a profit and aim to break even. So we are generally unable to fund bursaries. Only in exceptional circumstances are we able to provide a 10% discount which must be applied for by submitting a letter of application, stating the reasons. Other sources of bursaries can sometimes be found through local dioceses.

Are there any reduction in fees if we enrol as a married couple?

There could be a small reduction in fees if you were happy to share books, but as your fees cover conferences and possibly different modules, this would only be minor.

Can I pay for individual modules?

If you were just wanting to take one module or spread out payments, this can possibly be arranged. The cost would be £150 per module.

Do I have to complete in 2 years?

Although most students will take the course over a two year period, we aim to be flexible. Individual circumstances may necessitate that the course is taken over a longer period. Note that we only have one graduation point in September each year, and so if you extend you may have to wait some months before you can complete.

Do the modules need to be taken in any particular order?

Each student begins with the first compulsory module – ‘Living World’. After that the order is up to each student. If the second compulsory module (Module 9 or 12) hasn’t been taken during the first year, it should then be taken as the fourth module.

Can the qualification be used as part of a degree programme?

The certificate at present is a ‘stand-alone’ qualification and credits cannot usually be put towards a degree.

Can I start at any point during the year?

The normal enrolment time is September/October each year. If the course is not fully booked, it is possible to start at a later point and take it over a longer or shorter period. However, there is only one graduation point (September). All work needs to be submitted by the 1st July for this.

When do the CRES days take place?

We aim to have our day events around April and November with the Residential taking place in early September. We hold a Zoom conference in January or February each year.

Where are the CRES days held?

All in person events take place at Ripon College, Cuddesdon.

Are the CRES days compulsory?

None of the days apart from the final residential are compulsory (alternative arrangements can be made for international students if it is impossible to attend). However, the events are all free (included in fees) for students and many find them of great interest and benefit as well as providing opportunities to meet other students and tutors.

How are the course materials provided?

The course materials are sent as hard copies by post. However, the handbook and modules can be sent electronically.

How is work submitted?

All coursework is submitted electronically to the administrator.

How is work assessed?

Assessment is by work diary (25%) and essay (75%) for 6 modules and then there is a dissertation. Each module booklet has questions and exercises which form part of the diary, and then students supplement this with material relevant from the news, their lives, what they have been reading etc.

How many hours are needed for each module?

Each module will take 20/40 hours, mostly dependent on how used to academic work the student is.

Are there deadlines?

We do not set internal deadlines. Students work at their own pace and submit each module when they have completed it. However, if you are aiming to graduate in a particular September you need to submit six modules and a dissertation by the 1st July in that year.

What is the role of the local tutor?

The local tutor is there to help you decide on the topic of essays, to look at drafts of essays, to mark them (they are also second marked by a Senior Tutor), and to help design the dissertation.

Do other students do this alongside full-time work?

Some do, some don’t. We have a complete range from people who have just graduated, to people working, to people who are retired.

Can I go straight to doing the CRES diploma?

It would be unusual for a student to go straight onto the Diploma without taking the CRES Certificate first. The reason is that the Certificate gives students a background in environmental issues, environmental theology and environmental ethics. So unless you have considerable previous knowledge in those areas it would be better to take the Certificate.